Hello guys! OMG can you believe its been one year since I started this blog already?.. I certainly can’t. Firstly I’d like to thank God for seeing me through the past year and for a tremendous amount of growth so far. I’d also like to thank you all my lovely readers for the endless love and support, comments, words of encouragement, emails and much more.
It’s been an interesting year, first challenging but then it got easier. I’ve learnt quite a bit this past year and I thought I’d share some of my experiences in form of advice to new bloggers just starting up. My advice goes as follows:
- Passion: Make sure you have a genuine passion for what you’re doing. If you do not, it will not only be evident but it will be a serious hassle to keep up.
- Amazing photography: If you do not own a professional camera (Nikon or Canon), employ a reliable photographer to help you with your photos. Also, crisp and clear photos not blurry, pixelated or overly edited photos
- Appearance: Keep your hair, makeup and nails neat always.
- Flat lays: You must master the art of flat lays, food photography, scenery etc. People don’t want to see just you all the time; they want to see what you get up to behind the scenes.
- Website design: Make sure your blog is an interpretation of your personality. If you’re a simple person, keep it simple. If you love shiny things, make it shiny but make sure it is very attractive.
- Social Media: Very very important. Be sure to keep up with social media platforms (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Fashion Climaxx, Lookbook etc.). Update all your social media when you upload a new post to your blog in order to notify your readers.
- Follow button: Add a follow button or a section for your readers to sign up to receive email updates every time you upload a post.
- Be Yourself: Keep it real and show your personality through your posts.
- Network: Follow and show love to other bloggers by commenting on their posts or photos in order to get yourself noticed which could lead to countless opportunities. Also, tag (on Instagram) fashion pages that give shoutouts such as Naija girls killing it, All Things Fiery, Nollywood Glamour, Fly Fashion Doll etc. to get more exposure.
- Patience: Patience is key. Many times you will feel like you have no readers, many times you will have fashion faux pas’. Keep going and in due time, your work will be acknowledged.
This morning, my friend Saffy asked me “What three things have you learnt in the last year?” and in summary, I said to her “patience is key, perseverance is key and persistence is key”.
Shorts: Dorothy Perkins | Jacket: Dorothy Perkins | Shirt: HM | Shoes: Dune | Neckpiece: Warehouse | Lipstick: MAC Velvet Teddy | Nails: Barry M “Shocking Pink”
Photos: Peter Oswin (www.oswinpeter.com)